Friday, April 30, 2010

A Picnic to Remember


Today we went to the state park with our homeschool group. As our girls and I headed toward the picnic tables where our group was located, we were met on the path by a young woman who was severely handicapped, both mentally and physically. I did not realize the extent of her deformities, however, until she turned and fully faced me. The sight of her mangled and partially amputated body literally took my breath away. Trying very hard not to show my anguish over her physical condition, I smiled and stopped to greet her. Unfortunately, she could not speak.

I looked to see who was caring for this precious lady, and there, to my right, was a middle-aged woman preparing a lovely picnic for another 4 or 5 severely handicapped individuals. She was their caretaker for the afternoon, and was treating them to a lovely time at the park. What a beautiful servant of God. I found myself staring at her in amazement, as though I were looking at an angel in disguise, a beautiful picture of God's mercy and compassion.

Tonight, I regret not stopping and talking with this woman. I would have loved to hear her story, but something tells me I will get the chance in Heaven.

2 comments:

  1. Sweet post. Tell me where I can get a job being a caregiver like that. That would be a full filling job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Lisa, I could definitely see you doing that. Nice to have you "following"!

    ReplyDelete