Thursday, April 29, 2010

Farewell Cable TV


A couple of weeks ago, our family made the joint decision to disconnect our cable TV service. (Yes, you read that correctly - no more cable.) We don't watch much television, but for the times that we do, we all agreed our time could be better spent.

So, we contacted the cable company and were assured it would be disconnected promptly. However, a week went by and we still had cable TV. Maybe they had forgotten to cancel it. But no, the new cable bill reflected a substantial discount from our cancelling it. Bottom line...someone had forgotten to physically turn our service off and we now had free cable. Satan works in clever ways.

I decided to call the cable company to tell them of their mistake. After telling the sales associate our situation, she became very quiet on the other end. (You know she was thinking what a nutcase I was for bringing such a mistake to light.) After a few moments, I decided to break the silence by saying, "I know, I know... but when God tells you to do something, you better do it."
"Yep, I guess so," was all she could say.

They'll be here tomorrow to disconnect the line, and you know what? I'm actually looking forward to it.

4 comments:

  1. We did this other day too!! Love, love, love having no TV. We had somewhat of a similiar situation too. They suddenly stated that we were being undercharged when we cancelled our cable. So cableman shows up at door asking for $219 and some equipment(that we gave back when we went down to basic cable). We didn't have either. So cableman states that he will have to shut off the cable. Go ahead was said back and the cable guy had a look of horror(you mean you won't have cable, gasp!!). OH, well loving no cable and we only watch during Survivor Thursday. Amen sister!
    Shelley :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shelley - Good to know we're not alone in this! I must admit though, we did keep our Netflix subscription. LOVE Netflix! Awesome selection of films and biographies to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're with you guys! We have no cable either..we do have the local channels with the help of some rabbit ears, but our TV has so much dust on it from lack of use! We can't afford cable, and sometimes I wish I had it (I could potentially be a FOX News addict), but then I quickly realize we are all the better without it! Good luck to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We decide to get rid of ours too. We did it in November and I LOVE having no tv!! We watched this season of Survivor online:)

    ReplyDelete