Sunday, March 28, 2010

Say Cheese!


From the very beginning, my husband and I felt the Lord calling us to make God's Word the foundation of our homeschool studies. So not only do we use the Bible as our guide for spiritual life, we have also made it the 'spine' upon which the majority of our academic studies are based.

At first you may think, how is that possible? Won't there be huge 'gaps' in your children's education if you limit yourself to studying only those topics found in the Bible? But for our family the answer would have to be a resounding 'no'. In fact, making God's Word the foundation our girls' education has given us great peace and confidence in our homeshooling experience.

I will not go into all the details of our daily schedule here, but in a nutshell, we study the Scriptures in the morning, first gleaning all the spiritual lessons the Lord has for us that day. This also includes vocabulary, geography, and cultural studies from the lesson. In the afternoon, we then study any science, history,or sociology lessons that are associated the morning's lesson. For example, in the morning if we study the story of Samson eating the honey from the lion's carcass, we might take a field trip that afternoon to a local bee keeper and learn all about bees and making honey. Or when studying about King Saul's quest to kill David, we may spend the afternoon studying the serious consequences of jealousy. The complexity of the lesson of course depends upon the age of the child.

Now for the first few years, I put these mini-unit lessons together myself, but later (and quite thankfully) found a wonderful curriculum written by Dr. David L. Bedell that follows this same idea. Most days we follow Dr. Bedell's lessons, other times we select our own topic to study. Either way, it makes for a very interesting homeschool experience.

One of our lessons this week was from 1 Samuel 17 where David's father tells him to bring bread and cheese to his brothers who were facing a possible battle with the Philistines. So after our afternoon Bedell lesson on 'how cheese comes from mold' (eeew!), we decided to spice up the lesson and make our own cheese! (photo above) We went online, found a kid friendly cheese recipe, and in about an hour had some delicious homemade cheese! It was great fun, we learned alot, and it was tasty too. I love using the Bible as our homeschool curriculum!

And for those of you who may be wondering about how we study history beyond the Ancients...Dr. Bedell does a wonderful job of relating American and world history events to Scripture. As these topics arise in his lessons, we read wonderful Historical biographies that correspond. As for Math, that's where we draw the line. Math curriculum, Teaching Textbooks has become my newest best friend!

3 comments:

  1. We will be switching to Teaching Textbooks this year also. Loving your blog.
    Blessings
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Diane! I hope you will enjoy TT as much as we have. Since we've started using it, we have had no more tears during math lessons! Yea! I took some time and visited your blog...it's lovely! Our family has taken a couple of cabin vacations up in Georgia. They were without a doubt some of our most favorite trips. How wonderful it must be to live there year round. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sherrie, Thanks for directing me/us here from the Bedell Yahoo group. What a lovely place you have here. Our two girls are a bit older (13 & 16), but it looks like we have quite a bit in common -- we LOVE putting God's Word first & foremost in our days and are using the Bedell curriculum too (we are currently in Vol. 5 as well :)). And we also love TT! We are finishing our second year in it.

    Oh, and get this, our girls & I lead our church's Awana Cubbies program and we will be having that very same lesson Wednesday night, of David bringing bread & cheese to his brothers...I'm making unleavened bread, but perhaps I should look into making cheese as well :).

    Plus, I'm a So. FL lover. I lived there for a couple of years and wish I could convince my husband that we need to be down there. lol

    Well, it's nice meeting a new friend. I hope you don't mind, but I will add you to my Friends list so I can visit you more often. I sometimes post about our Bedell studies - but have been blogging less often lately. David Bedell has visited my blog in the past, which was pretty neat.

    Blessings to you and yours!
    ~ Jane Swanson
    wwww.homeschoolblogger.com/PlainJane

    ReplyDelete