Saturday, March 13, 2010

In Step With the Master

"Continue earnestly in prayer, being vigilant in it with thanksgiving." Colossians 4:2

As I looked out our front window this morning, I happened to see our neighbor walking her three little pug dogs. What was interesting was how the dogs had positioned themselves. The first dog was way out in front, pulling so hard his two front paws were off the ground. The second dog was so far behind, my neighbor was having to pull him along, its hind legs in a locked position. But the third dog was walking contentedly beside its owner, keeping step with her exact pace.

The Lord used this picture to remind me of the importance of staying close beside Him on our journey through life. For if we rush out in front of Him, we will experience all the strain that come from striving. And if we lag behind, we will grow weary from resisting His will. But if we stay close to Him and in tune with His pace, we will experience peace and contentment.

How do we maintain this perfect pace with the Lord? Prayer. Not a little prayer. Not some prayer, but much prayer. Keeping in step with the Master requires faithfully communicating with Him throughout our day. Are you weary of striving ahead or lagging behind? Commit yourself to praying more.

3 comments:

  1. I love your posts. Thanks for the reminder to pray without ceasing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Life in the Fast Lane (sorry, don't know your name yet!) I feel the same way about your blog. It makes me smile everytime I see your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha- never realized that my name is not to be found on my blog! There- I just changed that! :o)

    ReplyDelete