Saturday, February 20, 2010

Radical Sacrificial Living


"...and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again." 2 Corinthians 5:15

It's that time of year again...Lent. A season when many God fearing people choose to abstain from doing something they love as an act of sacrificial devotion to the Lord. For some it means giving up chocolate. For others it may involve walking away from the Internet or unplugging the television. These are all good things, and for those whose hearts are truly pure in such endeavors, I believe God imparts spiritual blessings.

But may I be so bold as to say that I think this temporary season of partial self denial falls painfully short of what God intended our lives to be? For God doesn't say, "He died for all, that those who live should give up one thing they love for 40 days." No, 2 Corinthians 5:15 implies that we are to yield every selfish desire we have over to God everyday. Sounds a bit more radical than the traditions of Lent wouldn't you say?

But this shouldn't surprise us. For we serve a God who radically loves us and therefore it is only natural that He would desire us to live lives radically given over to Him. For the believer, there is nothing part time about following Christ. Denying self is not a seasonal event, it is a privileged way of life.

I fear there are still some areas of my life that are not completely yielded over to Him, and I am convinced this is because I am not fully embracing the sacrificial love Christ has for me, nor am I consistently walking in the reverent fear of the Lord. I am prayerfully considering this, for I am weary of the meaningless fruit that my selfish living produces.

Praise the Lord for His living Word that convicts us and His Holy Spirit that enables us to change in order that we might experience fullness of life!

No comments:

Post a Comment